Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Inspiration

I look at how long it's been since I've written on here and cringe. 
But, oh well! Today's a new day. 



 I'm going to say something now that's not a surprise to anyone who knows me - I. Love. Winter.  I absolutely loathe cold to the depths of my being, but winter inspires me. 
Tonight, I was just going to relax by perusing Elsie's Blog, because I think she is such an amazing artist. I randomly clicked on Sufjan Stevens'  rendition of "Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabelle" (YES, for pete's sake, I'm already listening to Christmas music.) and out of nowhere- inspiration. 
I became so inspired by the combination of music (which has now moved on to Beirut), the feeling of my cozy home tonight, and the beautiful pictures on the screen of my computer. It made me think about that crazy little blessing-inspiration.  Sometimes inspiration isn't convenient.Sometimes it's inconvenient. Like when you've a "to-do" list a mile long to prepare for exams, the amazing Thanksgiving dinner coming up, and just life in general. Sometimes, it's hazy and undefined and frustrating. Once in a while it comes, easy and free and beautiful and accessible, and wonderful! But not always. It comes  from the great big things our little eyes see every day. It comes from pounding bass, wailing violins, delicate notes carefully plucked on a guitar, and from swelling symphonies. It comes from people we know like we know ourselves. It comes from people we've never met, from people whose names we don't even know. But it ALWAYS comes from God. The Creator of all things beautiful,the One who gave us every thing beautiful, every thing we see that touches us. THE One who inspired that symphony. THE ONE who gave us the ability to love deeply and dream passionately and creatively. Every thing my mind dreams, whether it is fantastically clear and I can sit right there and bring it to life, or whether it is something foggy that I just can't grasp quite yet. That's my God, my Father, showing me something to bring me joy. If it turns out beautiful and exactly how I saw it, or if it turns out just not what I wanted it to be, I need to learn to be thankful! I've been given a heart to feel loneliness and frustration and disappointment and desolation, joy and love and peace and contentment! I've been given love and life and guidance from the most amazing people. I've lost and I've gained, and I have the amazing gift of being able to say that I've lived. And my amazing Guide, THE CREATOR OF ALL has given me what it takes to turn that into something beautiful.

Paint it, write it, draw it, sing it, scream it if you have to! When inspiration hits you, don't let it go. Never say that you can't turn it into anything. Sing it at the top of your lungs, off key. Say it, stuttering all the while. Tell someone that you value them. Sit and stare, mouth hanging open, at something beautiful. Close your eyes, focus your ears, shut out the world and let music move you. Do what feels right. And when you are content and peaceful and inspired, sit back and thank God for giving you what it takes. 
 That's what went through my mind tonight. I was inspired to write, and  share, so I did. I'm happy tonight. I hope you are,too.




No comments:

Post a Comment